One of the unspoken rules of blogging is “don’t talk about how you’re not posting enough.”
Well, I’m about to break that one. I haven’t posted– in forever. And I’m sorry.
This is a critical time for Evolation. After working at Apple for the past year, I’m now “going pro” –where possible–as a writer and blogger. Among other things, I’ve launched Appculture, an up-and-coming blog exploring cutting-edge trends in software design and the “bigger issues” of personalized, mobilized, and contextualized data. I’m still writing The Anatomy of Awareness (which will arrive in more pieces soon). I’m still taking plenty of pictures. And I’ve thought about Evolation a great deal– what it should be, who it’s for, why it matters.
I realized that, honestly, I have too many ideas here for one site. Yet I’ve gotten so much positive feedback about Evolation, and in particular “Two Words to Overcome Sadness, Anger, Loneliness & Fear” — #1 on Google!– that I feel it’s obviously a shame to stop writing here.
So I thought I’d ask you.
What is it about Evolation that got you hooked? What subjects here interest you? What can I do to bring you more of the stuff you love?
I’m planning of launching a secondary blog about (specifically) consciousness, emotion, neuroscience, memory and brain-training. But by its nature, this would be more “factual” and less poetic than Evolation tends to be. Since this pretty nicely dovetails with some (but not all) of the content here, it makes some sense to simply transition Evolation in this direction. But what do you think, dear reader?
?I can’t promise I’ll get back to Evolation immediately, but know that it’s coming. And thank you, so so so much, for reading, commenting, donating, and responding. I’ll make it worthwhile.
New Years’ Eve always fills me with optimism: the chance to look back and pick apart the year and decide where to focus next. The tradition of New Years’ resolutions certainly isn’t new, but I try to treat each New Year as a totally blank slate, cut off from past events and energies. Doing so has two advantages: one, that you define exactly what you want first, and allow that vision to sustain itself (and change, if necessary) through the events of the year. The second advantage is that it immediately places control in your hands, rather than in the vagaries of time. You’re entirely responsible for what happens.
This year seems particularly conducive to optimism: with the election of Obama, the global economic avalanche, and (on a more personal note) my graduation from college, the future is anything but certain. With all that ambiguity comes a special kind of potential: anything can happen now. I’ve also had a special feeling about the year 2009 for as long as I can remember, so I hope that intuition holds true.
The number-one request I’ve heard from all of you is “MAKE IT WHITE!”– so that’s exactly what I did. I couldn’t resist adding a bunch of nifty Flash and transparency, though. The result is pretty sweet, no?
Thanks to the superb “Futurosity” theme, and with some nice modifications, I’ve formed what I think is the best design yet: more visual, more readable, and more engaging. Let me know what you think!
New features include:
- A nifty tag browser (to your right, above the main menu)
- Fully tagged posts (improving navigation without a lot of overhead)
- Rich visuals accompanying every single post
- A beautiful new homepage showcasing the most recent posts in a “magazine-style” view
- A much-improved commenting system– so use it!
I’m still ironing out some small bugs, but the site should work pretty well starting tonight. As always, if there are any kinks, drop me a line!
After seven years, I’ve revamped my portfolio site (formerly Blue Fusion Media). The new site focuses more on my photography & film work, and serves as a rich complement to my work here at Evolation. Over time, you’ll see the two sites begin to cross-polinate and react to each other in much the way I had once envisioned when I started my first online venture, EnigmaZone, more than a decade ago.
Check out my newest imagery at Beauty in Chaos!
Take a look around. Notice anything? Welcome to the brand-spanking-new (and final) design for Evolation! Based off the awesome Hemingway Wordpress theme, I hope you enjoy the new look as much as I do.
It’s been a busy first three months, but in the end I think Evolation’s content speaks for itself.
Here are a few significant posts you may have missed:
- Letting the Universe Live Through You – Collected thoughts on “the big picture” and why we’re here
- How to Turbocharge Your Life in Ten Minutes or Less – An awesome technique for examining your life and finding areas to work on, inspiration to evolve, and ideas for the future.
- Two Words to Overcome Sadness, Anger, Loneliness and Fear – from the inside of any heavily-charged emotional state, it becomes difficult to gain perspective. Here is a simple yet powerful technique for getting to the root of--and ultimately conquering--your emotional states.
- What Is Your Story? – on our inherent inability to experience another’s reality, and how it affects even our most mundane interactions. One of my favorite posts.
- Become Culturally Conscious – If you haven’t watched this lecture, given by Wade Davis (the National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence and an award-winning author), you really must. One of the most inspiring things I’ve ever seen.
Share these with your friends, and please… feel free to comment!